[R-sig-ME] Split-plot Design

Kevin Wright kw.statr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 23:23:19 CET 2008

Your question is not very clear, but if you are trying to match the
results in Kuehl, you need a fixed-effects model:

dat <- read.table("expl14-1.txt", header=TRUE)
dat$block <- factor(dat$block)
dat$nitro <- factor(dat$nitro)
dat$thatch <- factor(dat$thatch)

colnames(dat) <- c("block","nitro","thatch","chlor")
m1 <- aov(chlor~nitro*thatch+Error(block/nitro), data=dat)
summary(m1)

Mixed-effects models and degrees of freedom have been discussed many
times on this list....search the archives.

K Wright