[R-sig-ME] [R] negative variances

Tu Yu-Kang yukangtu at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:54:15 CEST 2007

Dear Prof Bates,

Many thanks for your email. I tried lmer() and received the following
messages:

>  lm2<-lmer(ppd~month+(month|id))
Warning message:
Estimated variance-covariance for factor 'id' is singular
 in: `LMEoptimize<-`(`*tmp*`, value = list(maxIter = 200, tolerance =
1.49011611938477e-08,

I then tried lmer2():

>  lm3<-lmer2(ppd~month+(month|id))
> summary(lm3)
Linear mixed-effects model fit by REML
  AIC  BIC logLik MLdeviance REMLdeviance
 1146 1166 -567.9       1126         1136
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance  Std.Dev. Corr
 id       (Intercept) 0.1566631 0.395807
          month       0.0022331 0.047255 1.000
 Residual             0.6391120 0.799445
Number of obs: 420, groups: id, 140

Fixed effects:
            Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)  6.43595    0.07017   91.72
month       -0.36619    0.01642  -22.30

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
      (Intr)
month -0.544

However, I am not sure about the results, because MLwiN showed both random
effects were negative values (-0.196 and -0.023).

I start to notice this problems of negative variances when I am learning
how to use structural equation modeling software to run multilevel models
for longitudinal data. To my great surprise, it occurs quite frequently. In
SEM, this problem sometimes may be overcome by estimating  a nonlinear
model by freeing the factor loadings. For example, in this data, PPD
(probing pocket depth) was measured three times at month 0, 3 and 6. I only
fixed the first and last factor loadings to be 0 and 6 to get a non-linear
relation, and I also allow the level-1 residuals to be different on each
occasion. However, in some data, I failed to get a satifactory model no
matter how I modified my models.

I looked for the discussion in several multilevel modeling textbooks but
only found one short discussion in the book by Brown and Prescott. SEM
literature usually suggest fixing the negative variances to 0. However, I
wander whether this is the only way to get around this problem or the
sensible way because if the random effects are fixed to 0 the model is no
longer a random effects model.

With best regards,

Yu-Kang