[R-sig-ME] incorporate pedigree into lmer

Jon Hallander Jon.Hallander at genfys.slu.se
Tue Feb 6 14:26:01 CET 2007

Oh, sorry for being unclear. I am using a mixed linear model including both random and fixed effects:
y = Xb + Za + e
where the vector y are observed individual data, b is a vector of fixed effects, a is an individual additive random effect that are normally distributed vectors with (co)variance A*var(a). X and Z are incidence matrices relating the fixed and random effects (b and a) with the observations y. Furthermore, e is the error term, w normally distributed with mean zero and variance var(e). A is the additive genetic relationship matrix which is computed using the pedigree information (given below). A typical data might look like this:
Id Sire Dam y (i.e. weight in kg)
1  Na   Na  4.3
2  Na   Na  4.7
3  1    2   4.4