[R-meta] pooled vs separate QB statistics

Filippo Gambarota ||||ppo@g@mb@rot@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 28 12:09:07 CEST 2024

Hi,
I was reading the two papers (at the end) about categorical moderators
and the omnibus test and despite the conclusion is that the Q (or F)
test based on the pooled tau2 estimation works better in most cases,
when k in each moderator level is large and tau2 is expected to differ
across levels, it is better to use the non-pooled method.

Reading the metafor documentation it is not clear to me how to
implement the non-pooled method. Maybe I am missing something but I
can change the type of test (z vs t vs knha that takes into account
tau2 uncertainty) but I see no option to choose the pooled vs non
pooled tau2 method.

Thanks
Filippo

Rubio-Aparicio, M., López-López, J. A., Viechtbauer, W.,
Marín-Martínez, F., Botella, J., & Sánchez-Meca, J. (2020). Testing
Categorical Moderators in Mixed-Effects Meta-analysis in the Presence
of Heteroscedasticity. Journal of Experimental Education, 88(2),
288–310. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2018.1561404

Rubio-Aparicio, M., Sánchez-Meca, J., López-López, J. A., Botella, J.,
& Marín-Martínez, F. (2017). Analysis of categorical moderators in
mixed-effects meta-analysis: Consequences of using pooled versus
separate estimates of the residual between-studies variances. The
British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 70(3),
439–456. https://doi.org/10.1111/bmsp.12092

--
Filippo Gambarota, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher - University of Padova