[R-meta] Inverse weighting after estimation of VCOV

pedros@c m@iii@g oii st@ii@u@i-m@rburg@de pedros@c m@iii@g oii st@ii@u@i-m@rburg@de
Fri May 24 17:00:29 CEST 2024

Dear all,

I have a basic question about the output of my (gu)estimation of the
variance-covariance matrix. I have extracted results from very
heterogeneous studies with OR as effect size (sample sizes between 20
and 300,000). Since some of the results come from the same study, I
decided to try to use the VCOV as an input and estimated values
according to the following formula

V_mat  <- vcalc(vi=vi, cluster=shared_variance, data=df_complete, rho=.7)
res_meta     <- rma.mv(yi, vi, V=V_mat,
                         random = ~ 1 | number, mods = ~ hospitalbeds +
ltcbeds, verbose=TRUE, data=df_complete)

Interestingly, in this case the weighting is reversed, so that most of
the weight is given to studies with the smallest sample size; something
that does not happen when using this formula:

res_meta     <- rma(yi, vi,
                         random = ~ 1 | number, mods = ~ hospitalbeds +
ltcbeds, verbose=TRUE, data=df_complete)

I have tried to understand what is going on, but I am at kind of lost.
Could someone please give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,

David