[R-meta] Meta-analysis of proportion differences (certain cells frequency)

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Fri Mar 15 14:44:55 CET 2024

Dear Jakub,

Proportions like you are describing can be thought of as so-called 'compositional data' (i.e., data that describe to what extent some whole is composed of various subcomponents):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositional_data

For example, one might know that in a given person, 52% of their white blood cells are eutrophils, 36% are lymphocytes, 7% are monocytes, and the remaining 5% are other types. But without an actual count, these cannot be treated as binomial/multinomial counts and are just percentages (or proportions) of the whole.

Compositional data analysis is its own subfield in statistics, but whether the methods described there are relevant in the present context is not clear to me.

Since you mentioned the beta distribution: Yes, one could assume that a percentage/proportion like in the case above (i.e., a proportion of 0.36 of the white blood cells are lymphocytes) is beta distributed. But note that this is a proportion for a single individual. I would assume that there is such a proportion for multiple individuals within a group (e.g., patients). Then what is it that study authors would report? I would assume that they report the mean proportion (with hopefully also the SD of the individual proportions). If so, then one could basically just use methods for meta-analyzing means and mean differences.