[R-meta] [External] RE: Effect Sizes and Beta Coefficients

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Jun 18 09:46:20 CEST 2024

Adding a bit to this:

With respect to the MANCOVA: What kind of 'effect size' are you trying to compute for this? This thread revolved around ((semi)partial) correlation coefficients, so I assume this is what you are trying to compute here. I am not sure what information you have from the MANCOVA, but generally I would say that it will be next to impossible to compute a correlation coefficient from such an analysis. Test statistics from a MANCOVA will not tell you about directionality and are a complex amalgamation of the group differences for multiple variables (adjusted for covariates). Things already get tricky if we take away the 'multivariate' part and take away the 'covariate' part, in which case we are left with an independent samples t-test. Translating the results from such a test into a type of correlation coefficient that can meaningfully be combined with the results from studies that measured both variables of interest on a continuous scale (and then report of regular Pearson product-moment correlation coefficient) requires assuming that the dichotomous variable that defines the two groups for the t-test is a dichotomized version of a continuous variable in which case one can compute a biserial correlation coefficient. Trying to do something like this based on an MANCOVA seems dubious at best.

As for your second question: As far as I can tell, the table you show does not appear to provide odds ratios, but the results from linear regression models (leaving aside that the table appears to be messed up, at least with respect to the last three columns). The values shown are beta coefficients (since outcome and predictors were z-scored -- which makes the B and beta columns redundant). If you want a partial correlation coefficient here, you can just compute B/SE to get the test statistic. Together with the number of predictors and the total sample size, one can then compute the partial correlation coefficient from this information. But I cannot tell you which of the models you should use for this (this is a substantive question).