[R-meta] Effect Sizes and Beta Coefficients

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Jun 11 18:21:39 CEST 2024

Dear Rebecca,

This is my personal opinion: I would consider this approach outdated.

Typically, in a situation like this, one also knows the t-statistic for the coefficient of interest (or its p-value from which one can back-calculate the t-statistic). In that case, one can compute the (semi)partial correlation coefficient for the coefficient.

However, whether one should combine such 'partial' effect sizes with bivariate correlations is debatable in the first place. A relevant article that essentially argues against this is:

Aloe, A. M. (2015). Inaccuracy of regression results in replacing bivariate correlations. Research Synthesis Methods, 6(1), 21-27. https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1126

At least, one could try to capture some of the heterogeneity introduced by this by including a moderator in the model that indicates the type of correlation coefficient. With enough studies, one could even go a step further and include moderators that indicate which covariates were included in the original regression models from which the (semi)partial correlations were obtained (as a bunch of dummy variables).