[R-meta] Effect Sizes and Beta Coefficients

Hall, Rebecca r@h@||5 @end|ng |rom |@nc@@ter@@c@uk
Tue Jun 11 17:56:50 CEST 2024

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the use of a beta coefficient as a substitute for effect size where a paper lacks statistical data for Pearson's r to otherwise be calculated.

Peterson & Brown (2005) support the use of standardised beta coefficients and relative SE in the place of correlations, but Roth et al. (2018) criticise this. I'm therefore wondering whether there is a general consensus regarding the use of beta coefficients, and should Peterson & Brown's approach no longer be appropriate then I would be gladly advised on the alternative method that should be utilised.

Many thanks,
Rebecca

Dr Rebecca Hall | Research Associate
Department of Psychology | Lancaster University
[cid:8e93845c-4859-40e6-a9ef-401fa7129900]   [cid:7e44341b-7489-4093-9d94-19b0af1f5f03]