[R-meta] robust variance estimation with few clusters

Filippo Gambarota ||||ppo@g@mb@rot@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 25 15:07:22 CEST 2024

Hi,
I'm approaching the robust variance estimation using clubsandwhich and
following the metafor documentation, however I'm not sure about a point. I
have a dataset with a multilevel structure (independent effects within a
paper). However the number of clusters is low as well as the number of
effects within clusters.

My idea was to fit a standard two-level model ignoring the multilevel
structure (author/id is the paper/effect structure):

```
fit <- rma(yi, vi, data = data)
robust(fit, cluster = author, clubSandwich = TRUE)
```
However in the metafor documentation the robust function is used on a
multilevel model. Do I have to fit a multilevel model (with the problem of
having few clusters) and then the robust function or my approach is correct?

thank you

--
*Filippo Gambarota, PhD*
Postdoctoral Researcher - University of Padova