[R-meta] Fwd: Question on Umbrella review and other types

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Tue Apr 23 13:04:41 CEST 2024

If you are going to update the review I suggest best practice is to redo
the search as otherwise you are importain any biases introduced by the
authors of the previous reviews.

Michael

On 22/04/2024 19:45, Im wrote:

> Dear All!
> Many thanks indeed for your much valuable replies.
>
> My research is based on "Prognosis in relation to age in a carcinoma".
> The study results are "young age patients have better prognosis", "old
> age have worst prognosis", "age has not affect on prognostication" etc....
> Is it possible to be selective in the studies in terms of time
> of studies published etc., so that there can be some change in the
> analysis than previous ones ?
>
> With such a trivial number (only two) of previous SRMA, it seems better
> to conduct a new SRMA instead. But I am bit concerned whether it is Ok
> to conduct a new SRMA when the previously SRMA have been published with
> a gap of just couple of years (2020 and 2021)?
>
> So, if there is no problem in conducting a new SRMA, then I would be add
> the studies and proceed with the routine "meta" package in R studios for
> forest plots and funnel plots ?
>
> best regards,
> Imran
>
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 6:35 PM Dr. Gerta Rücker via R-sig-meta-analysis
> <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
> <mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>> wrote:
>
>     Yes,I have noted that the word "umbrella" has experienced a change
>     of meaning over the last years. In former times (that is, before
>     network meta-analysis became popular) it meant to conduct a number
>     of pairwise meta-analyses for different treatments for the same
>     condition in the same review. Since this is now better done using
>     network meta-analysis, they now use the term for something
>     different, namely overview of overviews, and this is what the
>     original poster meant.
>
>     As I understand, in the described situation, a re-analysis is
>     planned, thus I am not sure whether a special R package is needed.
>
>     Best,
>     Gerta
>
>     UNIVERSITÄTSKLINIKUM FREIBURG
>     Institute for Medical Biometry and Statistics
>
>     Dr. Gerta Rücker
>     Guest Scientist
>
>     Stefan-Meier-Straße 26 · 79104 Freiburg
>     gerta.ruecker using uniklinik-freiburg.de
>     <mailto:gerta.ruecker using uniklinik-freiburg.de>
>
>     https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/imbi-en/employees.html?imbiuser=ruecker <https://www.uniklinik-freiburg.de/imbi-en/employees.html?imbiuser=ruecker>

Michael