[R-meta] "Favours experimental/vaccinated", "Favours control" - Metafor

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Sun Oct 29 17:15:19 CET 2023

Dear Andrzej

Comment in line

On 29/10/2023 15:30, Andrzej Andrzej via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about: "Favours experimental","Favours control" ?
>
> How do I do it correctly ?
>
> This is very easy for me to mix it up.
>
> https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/plots:forest_plot_bmj
>
> ### add 'Favours control'/'Favours experimental' text below the x-axis
> text(c(-1,1), -2.5, c("Favors control","Favors experimental"), pos=c(4,2),
> offset=-0.3)
>
> How do I do it, that this is not the other way around, please ? And that my
> plot is correct and consistent with the data ?

Do you mean whether to type   c("Favors control","Favors experimental")
or  c("Favors experimental", "Favors control")?

If so the answer is that when you computed the effect size you knew
whetheh high values favoured experimental and so would be on the right
of the plot (the first option) or vice versa.

Michael

>    As a beginner in metafor I am able to easily mix it up like this and now
> this is not reflecting the truth:
>
> text(c(-1,1), -2.5, c("Favours experimental", "Favours control"),
> pos=c(4,2), offset=-0.3)
> How do I know which way is correct ? In other words how do I know where to
> place "Favours experimental" or "Favours Vaccinated" when I use bcg data,
> left or right from 0 ?
>   I have done metafor::reporter(res) but still no clues in which
> direction/favour are the results/labels should be placed ?
>
> Is it possible to tweak reporter() function to show it ?
>

> Thank you very much in advance.
> regards,
> Andrzej
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]