[R-meta] Meta-analysis with observational and experimental studies

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Nov 7 10:31:23 CET 2023

Dear Karen,

I suspect this thread isn't going to lead to a whole lot of useful responses (but would love to be proven wrong). The reason why I say this is that you seem to be at the stage of a meta-analysis where the goal is to figure out how to structure the data, what kind of effect sizes can be computed, and what kind of analyses can be conducted, given the goals and purposes of the meta-analysis itself, under the constraints of the types of studies that have been conducted and the information reported therein. In my experience, this is the most difficult task of a meta-analysis with complex data structures. This step is best carried out in person where we can look together at the data, some example studies, and some possible ways of structuring the data, using a white board or a whole lot of scratch paper.

But briefly: There is no absolute rule on whether one can meta-analyze observational and experimental research together or not. Whether this makes sense or not is highly context dependent. Beyond this, I cannot comment on any approaches without a *lot* more details. But again, I suspect a mailing list like this is not a replacement for sitting down in person when it comes to addressing such general questions.