[R-meta] [meta] package query: Forest plot displaying the mean weighted effect size with and without the outliers(meta.cont)

Ishtiaq Ahmed I@ht|@q@Ahmed @end|ng |rom vub@be
Thu May 11 11:43:40 CEST 2023

Dear Gerta,
Thank you for your reply. The data frame shared is not created in R just to make the code simple and reproducible. My original dataset has outliers identified via find.outliers(), influential  study analysis so, I wanted to remove from my data frame and than perform a meta-analysis to see if the effect size changes. My original data is very large and I am not able able to share it here so, I created a fake data in R and decide to remove 2 studies (by calling them outliers(just to create an example). Now I want to add the effect size to original forest plot.
P.S: I am sorry to mention in my previous mail that it is auto-generated data in R.
Regards
Ishtiaq

From: Dr. Gerta R�cker<mailto:gerta.ruecker using uniklinik-freiburg.de>
Sent: Thursday, 11 May 2023 11:35
To: R Special Interest Group for Meta-Analysis<mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Cc: Ishtiaq Ahmed<mailto:Ishtiaq.Ahmed using vub.be>
Subject: AW: [meta] package query: Forest plot displaying the mean weighted effect size with and without the outliers(meta.cont)

Dear Ishtiaq Ahmed,

Independently of the technical question (Guido may comment on), I would like to question your approach. In my view, it does not make sense to declare two of (only) five studies as "outliers", the more so, as their confidence intervals are at least partly overlapping with those of the other three studies, and they also are not attributed much less weight (sample size) than the others. For me, the forest plot doesn't seem to justify classifying these as outliers.

It is trivial that excluding studies due to large effect sizes reduces heterogeneity and shifts the pooled effect. However, the aim of meta-analysis is not to minimize heterogeneity, but to accept and account for it. Excluding studies from analysis, also in sensitivity analyses, should be based on risk of bias, if at all, not on effect sizes.

Best,
Gerta

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----