[R-meta] multiple models in one study

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Mon Mar 27 14:29:00 CEST 2023

Dear Valeria

Comment in-line

On 27/03/2023 10:05, Valeria Ivaniushina via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Hi James
>
> You have perfectly described my problem of model selection: while the
> dependent variable and key predictors are the same, sets of control
> variables are different -- within each paper as well as between papers.
>
> You ask two questions at the end (choosing between the results that are
> closest to
> the ideal and the results that are most comparable across studies; include
> or exclude model without control variables).  I guess I could try this and
> that and then compare results, what do you think?

Before you do that I suggest asking yourself what you will do if the
results are the same, or more challengingly, if they are different. If
you could write a scientifically convincing explanation of the
diferences then fine but otherwise you may just ed up scratching your head.

Michael

http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html