[R-meta] sd of blups vs tau in RE model

Reza Norouzian rnorouz|@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 29 16:24:26 CEST 2023

-- Yefeng,

Along the same lines, estimates of variance and covariance by the
model are obtained from the unconditional/marginal distribution of the
random effects independent of the observed effect sizes.

BLUPs, on the other hand, represent the mean of random effects
conditional on the observed effect sizes. Thus, if you hand-calculate
a statistic (sd etc.) from the BLUPs, it won't likely match that
estimated by the model.

-- Just curious, James,

In my field, sometimes there is an overlience on hand-calculating
certain statistics from BLUPs when those estimates can be more
accurately estimated by the model. I sometimes think it might be a bit
problematic.

For example, in the following paper (doi:10.1017/S027226312300027X),
authors calculated a split-half reliability by fitting two separate
models; each for one set of items and then correlated the relevant
BLUPs to arrive at their reliability estimate (~.84; relatively good
reliability).

If instead, they fit a single multivariate model, their estimate would
have been ~.47 (relatively low reliability).

Possibly, that could be an issue.

Reza