[R-meta] sd of blups vs tau in RE model

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 29 16:04:02 CEST 2023

Yes, a known property of empirical Bayes (BLUP) estimates is that their SD
is not equal to the (estimated) SD of the random effects. See the following
articles and references therein:

Louis, T. A. (1984). Estimating a population of parameter values using
Bayes and Empirical Bayes methods. Journal of the American Statistical
Association, 79, 393–398.

Howard S. Bloom, Stephen W. Raudenbush, Michael J. Weiss & Kristin Porter
(2016): Using Multisite Experiments to Study Cross-Site Variation in
Treatment Effects: A Hybrid Approach With Fixed Intercepts and a Random
Treatment Coefficient, Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness.
https://doi.org/10.1080/19345747.2016.1264518

Personally, I don't think this is a big problem because the SD of the BLUPs
is not the same thing as the SD of the population distribution. If it's a
concern, you could try putting a kernel density smooth over the BLUPs. The
resulting density estimate will have larger variance than the BLUPs. (I've
wondered for a while whether there's a way to choose the smoothing
bandwidth to make it match the random effects SD, but haven't had time to
look into it.)

James