[R-meta] DECOMPOSING RESIDUAL HETEROGENEITY

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Fri Jan 20 16:13:41 CET 2023

So I figured out what netmeta() is doing to estimate tau^2 when using REML. It fits this model:

res9 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ acarbose + benfluorex + metformin + miglitol + pioglitazone +
                               rosiglitazone + sitagliptin + sulfonylurea + vildagliptin - 1,
               random = ~ comp | study, rho=1/2, data=dat)
res9$tau2

and then apparently uses the tau^2 value from this going forward (strictly speaking, it fits the model above, but uses 'random = ~ id | study', where 'id' is a unique value for every row in the dataset, but that ends up doing the same thing in this case).

However, the model above ignores the covariance between the sampling errors in the three-arm study. So, I would suggest that this isn't quite the right approach to estimate tau^2. I am cc-ing Gerta and Guido in the hopes that they can provide some feedback on this.