[R-meta] coef_test() and Satterthwaite correction

Liu Sicong 64zone @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jan 16 23:15:06 CET 2023

Thank you very much James! I find the attached references very helpful!

Cheers,
Sicong
-------------

From: James Pustejovsky <jepusto using gmail.com>
Date: Monday, January 16, 2023 at 12:17 PM
To: Sicong Liu <64zone using gmail.com>
Cc: "r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org" <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-meta] coef_test() and Satterthwaite correction

Hi Sicong,

As far as I know, the Satterthwaite correction performs better than naive-tp (or naive-t) in general, for purposes of providing hypothesis testing procedures with close-to-nominal alpha levels and confidence intervals with close-to-nominal coverage levels. See Pustejovsky & Tipton (2018; https://www.jepusto.com/publication/rve-in-fixed-effects-models/) and citations therein for simulation evidence. See also Huang & Li (2022; https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-021-01627-0) and Huang, Wiederman, & Zhang (2022; https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2022.2077290).

Other non-Satterthwaite approaches include using saddlepoint approximation or Edgeworth approximation. These have not been studied as extensively as the Satterthwaite approximation, so it's less clear which should be preferred. In my own personal experience, I have seldom seen meaningful differences between Satterthwaite and saddlepoint approximations.

James