[R-meta] robust.rma.mv in metafor

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu Jan 12 09:54:58 CET 2023

Dear Reza,

That check is related to the default way of computing the dfs (df = n-p, where n is the number of clusters and p the number of fixed effects). To see why this is a problem, try:

clubSandwich::coef_test(res, "CR2", test="naive-tp")

and you will get negative dfs here. I am cc-ing James, because clubSandwich might want to catch this. Here is a reproducible (although a bit non-sensical) example:

library(metafor)
dat <- dat.konstantopoulos2011
res <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ factor(district), random = ~ 1 | district/school, data=dat)
robust(res, cluster = district)
clubSandwich::coef_test(res, "CR2", test="naive-tp")

(here the dfs are 0, but the same issue).

clubSandwich actually uses the Satterthwaite approximation for computing the dfs by default and here the dfs are >= 1:

clubSandwich::coef_test(res, "CR2")

although they are all all quite low and so it is questionable whether those tests are trustworthy in this case.

If you still want to go ahead with this, just use coef_test(res, "CR2"). I might consider taking out the check if 'clubSandwich = TRUE' in the future, although it is still probably a sensible check because when n < p, the Satterthwaite approximation will also tend to give rather low dfs.