[R-meta] Why total variation differs in two rma.mv models?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Jan 10 13:08:08 CET 2023

And to add to this:

When I intially saw Yuhang's mail, I actually expected that the question was going to phrased the other way around -- that m2 had a higher amount of heterogeneity than m1 -- which indeed is counterintuitive and in which case I would have pointed Yuhang to this:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:increasing_tau2_when_adding_moderators

(which only looks at the standard random/mixed-effects model, but the same issue can of course arise in more complex multilevel models).