[R-meta] Comparing several predictors and responses & most appropriate model

Alicia Foxx @|oxx @end|ng |rom u@northwe@tern@edu
Tue Jan 3 16:26:53 CET 2023

Hi James,

Happy new year and thank you so much for your thoughtful response. We're
working with plants but thought bird ecology might be a more tangible
example. Let's say having a longer beak means you get more seeds and have
healthier offspring - then birds with longer beaks can out-compete birds
with shorter beaks and perhaps produce more fledglings (theory re:
equalizing fitness/fitness differences).

I appreciate your notes on the bivariate MA and think we should explore it
further - we'd be grateful for any readings you could point us to as this
doesn't seem like a popular method as others. I think this was our
confusion with the "outcomes" aspect.

Could you say a little bit more about your note re: " I would think one
could investigate the question by using a bivariate meta-analysis where the
bivariate ES would be (fitness ratio, beak length difference) and the
predictor would be separate indicator variables for each variable (i.e., a
dummy for fitness ratio and a dummy for beak length difference) and the
model would include bivariate random effects with an unstructured
covariance matrix."

I also just came across a preprint (Mahon et al. 2021
<https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.21.453226v1>) that gets at
the non-independence issue that may be helpful in our case.

Thank you,

Alicia

*Dr. Alicia Foxx, MS, PhD*

she/her/hers

Research Scientist

The Chicago Botanic Garden & New Roots for Restoration
<http://www.newrootsforrestoration.org/>

Adjunct Professor: Northwestern University
Associate Editor: Ecological Solutions and Evidence
<https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/26888319>

ResearchGate <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alicia-Foxx> & Google
Scholar <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=nlWrL0YAAAAJ&hl=en>

E: afoxx using chicagobotanic.org