[R-meta] Negative values of df in test of moderators using robust()

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 1 17:17:36 CET 2023

Hi Sebastian,

I don't think it's possible to derive a clear rule-of-thumb for this
because it depends on the configuration of the covariates (e.g., the number
of studies contributing to each category, in the example I gave), not just
on the total number of studies.

Generally, Joshi et al. found that using cluster-wild bootstrap led to
better Type-I error control and *higher power* for hypothesis tests
involving multiple constraints (that is, hypothesis tests with 2 or more
numerator degrees of freedom). Higher power is good, so it seems not
unreasonable to use CWB routinely for such tests. More pragmatically
(lazily?), I would definitely recommend using it whenever the denominator
degrees of freedom of the regular robust test are small.

James