[R-meta] Fwd: About the coefficient in meta-regression analysis

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Wed Dec 20 14:49:35 CET 2023

Dear Nick

Comments in-line

On 19/12/2023 14:31, 英文科陳品誠 via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Dear Michael and all,
>
>         Thank you for the swift response. I do have some further questions
> to ask.
>         (a) So, in order to "remove" the intercept, what code should I use?

I do not use the same package as you but where you currently have educ
as the moderator try putting educ - 1

>         (b) Let's say my research is about whether using digital games will
> affect the result of English vocabulary acquisition or not. So as you said,
> "... remove the intercept so each coefficient would then be tested for its
> difference from zero." , does that mean if I rerun the code again with the
> removal of intercept and presumably get an estimate of 0.3 from the
> subgroup "eduH" and the p-value is less than 0.05. Can I say that "eduH has
> a positive coefficient to English vocabulary acquisition"? If not, what
> would the coefficient mean here (since there is no intercept to compare to)?

It is comparing the estimated effect size with zero. Whether that is a
meaningful scientific question is up to you. I would be surprised if the
coefficient did turn out to be 0.3 but try it and see. Note that the
overall test for the effect of educ will be testing a different
hypothesis when you remove the intercept.

Michael