[R-meta] negative reliability

Michael Dewey ||@t@ @end|ng |rom dewey@myzen@co@uk
Fri Apr 28 11:01:10 CEST 2023

Dear Catia

You can check whether it was transmitted by going to

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2023-April/author.html

Where it appears.

The fact that you got no response may be because we are all struggling
with the idea of a test-retest or split-half reliability estimate which
was negative and what we would do with it. So people who scored high the
first time now score low? If it is split-half it suggests that the
hypothesis that the test measures one thing is false.

Michael

On 28/04/2023 01:45, Catia Oliveira via R-sig-meta-analysis wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I apologise if I am spamming you but I think you didn't receive my previous
> email. At least I was not notified.
>
> I am running a meta-analysis on the reliability of a task (computed as a
> correlation between sessions or halves of the task depending on whether it
> is test-retest or split-half reliability) and I have come across one result
> that I am not sure how to handle. According to the authors, they found
> negative reliability and, because of that, they applied a correction
> suggested by Krus and Helmstadter(1993). Thus, I am wondering if I should
> use the original correlation or the corrected one. When authors applied the
> Spearman-Brown correction I reverted them to the original score, but with
> this one I don't know if such an approach is OK. My intuition would be to
> use the uncorrected measure since that's the most common approach in the
> sample and there isn't sufficient information to allow us to test the
> impact of these corrections. But I would appreciate your input on this.
>
> A second issue, but somewhat in line with the previous one, what do you
> recommend one to do when multiple approaches are used to compute the
> reliability of the task but only one converges with what was typically done
> by other authors? I wouldn't be able to assess whether the decisions made
> an impact on the reliability as it is only one study but also don't want to
> bias the findings with my selection (though I have to say the results are
> quite consistent across approaches).
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Catia