[R-meta] equivalence of weighted regression and MA in the context of complex models

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Apr 4 09:19:01 CEST 2023

A note about this:

>res.ml.lm <- lm(yi ~ vi, weights = rowSums(solve(vcov(res.ml,type="obs"))), dat = dat)

What you are doing here is using 'row sum weights', which you can also get directly from weights():

wi <- weights(res.ml, type="rowsum")
res.ml.lm <- lm(yi ~ 1, weights = wi, dat = dat)

This is described in detail here:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:weights_in_rma.mv_models#models_fitted_with_the_rmamv_function

I would be interested to hear under what circumstances 'multiplicative heterogeneity' is useful.