[R-meta] phylogenetic information in both moderator and random part of rma.mv?

Sigurd Einum @|gurd@e|num @end|ng |rom ntnu@no
Fri Sep 30 10:25:48 CEST 2022

Dear Wolfgang, thank you for these insights! This clarified for me the way effects of class and phylogeny (within class) is partitioned in the model!
When I fit the two models you suggested (see below), AICc is lower for mod2 (with delta AICc > 2). My interpretation of your reply, i.e. that the effect of phylogeny is an empirical question, is that since there is little evidence for a phylogenetic signal within classes for this data set, mod2 (i.e. treating the species as independent observations as long as I account for the random species effect (1|species)) is appropriate when estimating the class effect.

mod1 <- rma.mv(lambda, sampvar,mods = ~ Class, random = list(~ 1 | study, ~ 1 | species, ~ 1 | phylo),
               R = list(phylo = A), data = Final.data, sparse = TRUE, method = "REML")

mod2 <- rma.mv(lambda, sampvar,mods = ~ Class, random = list(~ 1 | study, ~ 1 | species),
                                   data = Final.data, sparse = TRUE, method = "REML")

Best wishes,
Sigurd