[R-meta] phylogenetic information in both moderator and random part of rma.mv?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu Sep 29 16:58:39 CEST 2022

Dear Sigurd,

I do not know enough about the specifics of the application to say whether comparing the model with versus without phylogeny is sufficient to conclude something about evolutionary divergence.

However, let me make a few comments (I am also basing some comments here on what you wrote to me initially in an email before redirecting you to this mailing list for further discussions):

So you fitted a mixed-effects model with lme() of the form:

lme(Y ~ Class, random = ~ 1 | species, data=Final.data, method="ML")

(or maybe including weights = varFixed(~ sampvar)) and found 'Class' to be relevant (regardless of whether this means: large coefficient, statistically significant, sufficiently larger value of the information criterion compared to a null model). Then you fitted the model below (where you are accounting for phylogeny) and now the support for the relevance of 'Class' disappears or is considerably weaker. I hope this summarizes the issue.

First, I would ask: Have you compared the lme() model with this?

rma.mv(Y, sampvar, mods = ~ Class, random = ~ 1 | species, data = Final.data, sparse = TRUE, method = "ML")

Note that this is not exactly the same model as what lme() fits as explained here:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:rma_vs_lm_lme_lmer

This aside, it is quite possible that the relevance / effect / significance of 'Class' changes when accounting for the phylogeny, because this accounts for the potential dependence of the outcome due to similarities between species in a different way than just including species itself as a random effect.

Now does it make sense to include Class as a moderator while also including random effects for species? I would say yes. Class is a broader category, so the species random effect accounts for heterogeneity within classes (and the fixed effect for class allows the average of all species belonging to the same class to differ from that of other classes). And whether the values of this random effect are correlated or not (as predicted by the phylogeny) is an empirical question. So if the model with phylogeny fits better, then I would go with that.