[R-meta] pseudo r2 values for rma.mv models

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Tue Sep 27 11:06:44 CEST 2022

Dear Gabriele,

One can compute a pseudo R^2 value in various ways. One is based on the proportional reduction in the (sum of the) variance components, McFadden's R^2 is another way (and there are more). In either way, the value may be inaccurate. I just happened to have written up a little tutorial on how to use bootstrapping to construct a CI for R^2:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:ci_for_r2

At the bottom is a link to illustrate how to do this for a more complex model. You might want to try this out to see how wide the CI is.

That R^2 can be high even when the moderator is not significant can be partly explained by this as well. Also, if the total amount of heterogeneity, sum(null.model$sigma2), is low to begin with, then sum(model$sigma2) could easily become (close to) zero by chance alone even if a moderator is not significant, at which point R^2 would be 100% (or close to it)! Again, a CI would (hopefully) reveal that the R^2 value should not be trusted too much in such a case.