[R-meta] tau^2 for multilevel models

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Thu May 26 11:46:39 CEST 2022

Dear Alexandra,

Yes, sum(example$sigma2) can be considered the total amount of heterogeneity. It won't be exactly equal to example2$tau2, but shouldn't be too dissimilar (0.323 vs. 0.313 in this example).

Sure, you could denote sum(example$sigma2) as tau^2. In fact, you can fit model 'example' using this alternative parameterization (which is equivalent as long as rho is estimated to be > 0):

example3 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ trial | alloc, data=dat)
example3

And here, example3$tau2 is identical to sum(example$sigma2).

See also:

https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:konstantopoulos2011