[R-meta] A further question about 'correlations' in multivariate model: correlation in observed effects vs. correlation in true effects

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 5 17:33:57 CEST 2022

Hi Yefeng, I'll add a couple of observations to Wolfgang's response.

First let me address your question about whether there is a concept of
correlation in observed effect size estimates, and whether this is
meaningful. I think the term is ambiguous--it most likely means the
sampling correlation between estimates, conditional on the true effects for
a given study. This is as Wolfgang noted. But it might also refer to an
_overall_ correlation between the effect size estimates in a study. This
correlation is what you would observe if you just created a scatterplot of
the effect size estimates for the first outcome versus the effect size
estimates for the second outcome.

Say that for each study:
T_1j is the observed effect size estimate for the cognition outcome in
study j
V_1j is the sampling variance of T_1j
T_2j is the observed effect size estimate for the anxiety outcome in study j
V_2j is the sampling variance of T_2j
r is the sampling correlation (the "within-study" correlation) between T_1j
and T_2j
Then if you plotted T_1j versus T_2j, the correlation between the points is
an _overall_ correlation, which _combines_ the within-study correlation in
the sampling errors and the "between-study" correlation in true effect
sizes.

If you are willing to work under a particular set of modeling assumptions,
such as the bivariate meta-analysis model that you've described, then you
can derive this overall correlation between observed effect size estimates
from the same study. Say that the true effect sizes for study j are
theta_1j and theta_2j, and we assume an unstructured covariance matrix
where Var(theta_1j) = tau_1, Var(theta_2j) = tau_2, and Cor(theta_1j,
theta_2j) = rho. Then
Cov(T_1j, T_2j) = r * sqrt(V_1j V_2j) + rho * sqrt(tau_1 * tau_2)
Var(T_1j) = V_1j + tau_1
Var(T_2j) = V_2j + tau_2
and so
Cor(T_1j, T_2j) = [r * sqrt(V_1j V_2j) + rho * sqrt(tau_1 * tau_2)] /
sqrt[(V_1j + tau_1) * (V_2j + tau_2)]
As you can see, this is a rather complicated expression that depends on
several parameters and also varies from study to study. This suggests it's
hard to interpret in substantive terms.

If we make some further simplifying assumptions that the sampling variances
are equal, V_1j = V_2j = V_j, and the between-study variances are equal,
tau_1 = tau_2 = tau, then things simplify a bit:
Cor(T_1j, T_2j) = (r * V_j + rho * tau) / (V_j + tau) = r * (1 - phi_j) +
rho * phi_j,
where phi_j = tau / (V_j + tau), a sort of study-specific version of
I-squared. So with this expression, we can see that the overall correlation
is an average of the correlation between sampling errors and the
correlation between the random effects.

Richard Riley and colleagues have some work from a while back looking at
how one could estimate the bivariate meta-analytic model by assuming that
the correlation between sampling errors and the correlation between random
effects is the same (i.e., r = rho):
Riley, R. D., Thompson, J. R., & Abrams, K. R. (2008). An alternative model
for bivariate random-effects meta-analysis when the within-study
correlations are unknown. *Biostatistics*, *9*(1), 172-186.
Generally though, there's not any reason why this would need to be the case.

James
https://jepusto.com