[R-meta] Transformation for ICC as outcome?

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Fri Jun 10 15:16:56 CEST 2022

The r-to-z transformation for ICC(1) values involves n. So the parameter that is estimated by a transformed value is:

1/2 * ln((1 + (n_i-1) * rho_i) / (1 - rho_i)),

where rho_i is the true ICC in the ith study. When the n_i values differ across studies, the r-to-z transformed values are estimating different parameters (even if rho_i is constant across studies) and therefore are inherently heterogeneous. Adding n_i (and n_i^2, n_i^3, ...) as predictors can be used to account for this to some extent.

In contrast, this is not an issue for the r-to-z transformation for plain-old Pearson product-moment correlations, which is:

1/2 * ln((1 + r_i) / (1 - r_i)),

since this estimates

1/2 * ln((1 + rho_i) / (1 - rho_i)),

so if the rho_i values are homogeneous across studies, so are the transformed parameters.