[R-meta] metafor::rcalc() vcalc() for correlated Pearson rs

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Wed Jul 13 03:01:31 CEST 2022

Hello Everyone,

I'm meta-analyzing the correlation (Pearson r) between extroversion (ext)
and achievement in math, reading, and arts.

My data looks like what is shown below. I wonder whether --rcalc()-- is a
suitable option for building a var-covariance matrix for Pearson r
coefficients in each study OR --vcalc()-- is a more suitable option?

ps. It seems --rcalc()-- requires var1 and var2 in each row to be distinct
in each study which makes me think var1 and var2 must be ID variables.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Sincerely,
Yuhang

study ri var1   var2   scale  outcome  ni  sample_id
1      .1  ext    math   epq    math     50  1
1      .2  ext    math   epq    read     50  1
1      .3  ext    math   epq    art      50  1
2      .4  ext    math   pf     math     35  1
3      .5  ext    read   pf     read     80  1
3      .6  ext    math   pf     math     64  2