[R-meta] rma.mv only for better SEs

Mon Jan 31 21:56:42 CET 2022

The fixed effects are estimated using ML/REML estimation.

What you seem to be describing there are the EB estimates of the cluster-specific intercepts (e.g., Snijders & Boskers, 1999, p. 58-59) for a simple two-level 'empty' model with just a random intercept. With additional fixed effects and/or random effects, things will get more complex.

There are many books that go into this; for example Searle (1992), chapter 6 is very thorough.

I will bow out of further replies as typing is aggravating my arm.