[R-meta] Dear Wolfgang

Lee, Ju juh@|ee @end|ng |rom northe@@tern@edu
Thu Jan 27 21:54:55 CET 2022

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you for your response. It's helpful to know your perspectives on this, and that in general there is no hard evidence or guidelines for sample size thresholds for meta-regression models.

Also, thank you very much for directing me to possibly using power analyses for testing false relationships.

Best,
JU

Juhyung Lee
Postdoctoral Fellow
Marine Science Center, Northeastern University
430 Nahant Rd, Nahant, MA 01908, USA
Phone: +1(650)285-7614

2022. 1. 27. 오후 1:54, "Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)" <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl> 작성:

    Dear Juhyung,

    Briefly, I am not aware of any proper evidence based guidelines for such a threshold. You sometimes see people mention that there should be 5 or 10 studies per moderator, but these are just heuristics. One could do a proper power analysis if one is worried about false negatives. See

    https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jepusto.com%2Fpublication%2Fpower-approximations-for-dependent-effects%2F&data=04%7C01%7Cjuh.lee%40northeastern.edu%7C99ec6dbb24154fb76f9a08d9e1c652d8%7Ca8eec281aaa34daeac9b9a398b9215e7%7C0%7C0%7C637789064934933614%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=fsQn8qGQ9DT7FxbNUkpjjSvJ5pwUP1vwaYgdV6K1ZCg%3D&reserved=0

    for some recent work that might be applicable to your case (since your post implies that you are dealing with a more complex data structure).