[R-meta] A rather general question study/effect size ratio

Farzad Keyhan |@keyh@n|h@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Feb 4 19:34:36 CET 2022

Oops, I forgot to add and ask this, the conceptual conflict in mind is that:

1- On the one hand, the more the studies vs. effects within studies,
the higher the generalizability of our meta-analytic results.

2- On the other hand, studies with more effects can influence the
studies with a single or fewer effects.

It seems to me 1- and 2- are at odds with each other meaning that:

A collection of studies each with a single effect gives us the most
precise meta-analytic estimates (i.e., rma() type model).

Yet, the existence of single-effect studies in a group of
multiple-effect studies reduces the precision of our meta-analytic
estimates such that multiple-effect studies should influence
single-effect studies to improve the precision of the meta-analytic
estimates (i.e., rma.mv() type model)