[R-meta] Follow-up: Interpreting variance components in rma.mv

Yuhang Hu yh342 @end|ng |rom n@u@edu
Sat Aug 27 05:38:52 CEST 2022

Dear James,

Thank you very much for your clear response.

As another alternative, if I define my model as:

rma.mv(yi ~ 0 + cat_mod * time + covariates, random = list(~ time | study,
~1| effect), struc = "UN")

Then, let's say we get the following var-covar matrix for the true effects
at our time points in each study averaged across all studies:

         time0 time1
time0    0.6   0.2
time1    0.2   1.2

with rho(time0, time1) = 1.00 (I know 1.00 is odd but in my case this is
fully identified)

In addition, a typical study's own heterogeneity, lets say, is estimated to
be .13.

If Gain (cat1) = 0.27; Gain (cat2) = 0.33, then Var(Gain) from time0 to
time1 at the study level will be:

Var(Gain) = sqrt( Var(time0) + Var(time1) - 2 * rho(time0, time1) *
(sqrt(Var[time0]) * sqrt(Var[time1]))  )

***Question: So now should we add Var(effects) i.e., omega in your
notation, to the above equation or it needs to be further modified?

Thank you,
Yuhang