[R-meta] Mismatch between P-value and 95% CI in rma()

Adelina Artenie @de||n@@@rten|e @end|ng |rom br|@to|@@c@uk
Wed Aug 17 14:09:16 CEST 2022

Many thanks, Wolfgang. Glad to know my approach is correct. Yes, I use specific units for each predictor variable.
Best,
Adelina

From: Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) <wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl>
Date: Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 12:47
To: Adelina Artenie <adelina.artenie using bristol.ac.uk>, r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org <r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org>
Subject: RE: [R-meta] Mismatch between P-value and 95% CI in rma()
It is what it is. The calculation appears correct. For example, for the upper CI bound:

exp(coef(my_metar)[2] + qnorm(.975)*sqrt(vcov(my_metar)[2,2]))

Note that the IRR is for a one-unit increase in the predictor variable. Var1 appears to be some year variable and Var2 some kind of percentage. A one year or one percentage point increase doesn't mean much. You could rescale them with mods = ~ I(Var2/10). Then for Var2 you get:

           estimate ci.lb  ci.ub
I(Var2/10)   0.9395 0.866 1.0193

So, the upper CI corresponds to roughly a 1.02 times (i.e., 2%) increase in the IRR for each 10 percentage points increase in Var2.