[R-meta] Confusion about how to use UN structure

Luke Martinez m@rt|nez|ukerm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 2 18:28:33 CEST 2021

Dear James,

I also got a bit confused about the second case (below). You mentioned
that in this case we have borrowing of strength from category A for
studies that have the A-C pairs. Could you please elaborate on how
this logic works?

I thought that each category can influence another category with which
it is correlated. For example, for the below case, (1): A and B can
influence each other, and also (2): A and C can influence one another.

By influence, I mean, for example, if A has occurred more frequently
than B in "the same studies" that B has also occurred, then, A can
influence B's average effect (and A's estimate of heterogeneity).

I appreciate it if you could clarify how we can have borrowing of
strength from category A for studies that have the A-C pairs in the
case below?

Thank you,
Luke