[R-meta] Confusion about how to use UN structure

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 2 04:33:11 CEST 2021

Dear James,

Thank you very much. This now makes logical sense. But this brings up
another issue. Given that HCS and CS both allow for one common
correlation among categories in each study (assuming UN_MOD | study,
struct = "HCS"|"CS"), then, how "the borrowing of strength" in HCS and
CS differs from that in the UN?

For example, it seems to me that in HCS and CS, borrowing of strength
is kind of malleable (a lump "the borrowing of strength") as opposed
to the directional "the borrowing of strength" in UN.

If so, then in my paper, (assuming I'm not allowed to use an
overparameterized UN structure but only focus on its reliable rho
estimates), I will probably describe/interpret the the common rho
estimate given by HCS or CS as some kind of "assumptional" quantity,
one that in the case of theoretically correlated categories honors the
theory. But one that can't allow examining the exact degree of
correlations among average effects associated with each category
(i.e., can't substantiate the theory in its full form).

I remember asking this a while back that does random effect
specification have any bearing on the fixed effects in multilevel
meta-regression models? It seems I am indirectly formulating an answer
to that question as well!

Thank you,
Simon