[R-meta] Does clubSandwich::coef_test() handle crossed random-effects?

James Pustejovsky jepu@to @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Oct 3 18:43:57 CEST 2021

Ah I see. In my previous message, I think I misinterpreted what was going
on. Based on what you've just described, it sounds like you actually do not
have crossed random effects. Rather, you've got a hierarchical structure
where effect sizes are nested within studies and studies are nested within
scales. If you do not specify a clustering variable, clubSandwich defaults
to clustering based on the highest level of random effects, so in your case
you were clustering on the scale ID. (You could confirm this by running
coef_test(m1, "CR2", cluster = data$scale), to see if the results are
identical to coef_test(m1, "CR2").) If there are only a few unique values
of the scale variable (I would guess maybe around 6 or 7?) then this would
also explain the low degrees of freedom.

So, in addition to the approach described in my previous message, a further
alternative would be to treat scale as a set of fixed effects (i.e., dummy
variables for each level of scale). and then cluster on studyID. Strictly
speaking, this means that you would not be generalizing beyond the observed
set of scales. But if you only observe 6 unique levels, trying to do so may
be asking for more than the data can support.

James