[R-meta] Meta-analyzing studies that failed to account for their nested data

Mikkel Vembye m|kke|@vembye @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 1 21:41:21 CEST 2021

Sorry. I referred to an older version of the Appendix. I usually just
follow WWC's recommendation when I cannot obtain R2. This is

"if R2 is not available, then WWC will take a cautious approach to
calculating the
standard error and assume a value of zero for R2. This cautious approach
will overestimate the
magnitude of the standard error but protects against type I error." (See
the WWC Procedure Handbook, p. E-5)

https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/referenceresources/WWC-Procedures-Handbook-v4-1-508.pdf

Whether this approach is better, is more a James question.

Mikkel