[R-meta] clubSandwich for rma.uni() models

Luke Martinez m@rt|nez|ukerm @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Nov 29 23:05:27 CET 2021

Hi James,

This is an amazing answer. I guess the 3 items you have listed are
ordered in terms of applicability.

Almost always (1) is readily applicable and relevant. With (2),
determining "bit of dependency" is a bit difficult or at least
involves some trial and error. With (3), one has to put in some effort
in determining the amount of endogeneity and even after that it's a
bit of challenge to abandon the idea of rma.mv() that can itself be
corrected for misspecification in favor of an rma() idea especially if
the data structure cries for an rma.mv() model.

Related to all of this, @Wolfgang asked a question a while back
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2021-September/003189.html)
regarding if: *"the degree of discrepancy between the standard and the
cluster-robust Wald-test could be used as a rough measure [of the]
extent the working model is reasonable"*

It seems the answer is yes according to
(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csda.2003.08.006 ; p.439):

"[R]obust standard errors [are] an indicator for possible
misspecification of the model or its assumptions. If the robust
standard errors are much different from the asymptotic standard
errors, this should be interpreted as a warning sign that some
important assumption is violated."

Any thoughts?
Luke