[R-meta] Wald_test - is it powerful enough?

Thu Sep 2 12:07:17 CEST 2021

Dear Cátia,

A comparison of power is only really appropriate if the two tests would have the same Type I error rate. I can always create a test that outperforms all other tests in terms of power by *always* rejecting, but then my test also has a 100% Type I error rate, so it is useless.

So, whether the cluster-robust Wald test (i.e, Wald_test()) or the standard Wald-type Q-M test differ in power is a futile question unless we know that both tests control the Type I error rate. This is impossible to say in general - it depends on many factors.

In this example, you are using an approximate V matrix and fitting a multilevel model (using the multivariate parameterization). That might be a reasonable working model, although the V matrix is just a very rough approximation (one would have to look at the details of all articles to see what kind of dependencies there are between the estimates within studies) and r=0.6 might or might not be reasonable.

So using cluster-robust inference is a sensible further step as an additional 'safeguard', although there are 'only' 17 studies. Cluster-robust inference methods work asymptotically, so as the number of studies goes to infinity. How 'close to infinity' we have to be before we can trust the cluster-robust inferences is another difficult question that is impossible to answer in general. These article should provide some discussions around this:

Tanner-Smith, E. E., & Tipton, E. (2014). Robust variance estimation with dependent effect sizes: Practical considerations including a software tutorial in Stata and SPSS. Research Synthesis Methods, 5(1), 13-30. https://doi.org/10.1002/jrsm.1091

Tipton, E., & Pustejovsky, J. E. (2015). Small-sample adjustments for tests of moderators and model fit using robust variance estimation in meta-regression. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 40(6), 604-634. https://doi.org/10.3102/1076998615606099

Tipton, E. (2015). Small sample adjustments for robust variance estimation with meta-regression. Psychological Methods, 20(3), 375-393. https://doi.org/10.1037/met0000011

Tanner-Smith, E. E., Tipton, E., & Polanin, J. R. (2016). Handling complex meta-analytic data structures using robust variance estimates: A tutorial in R. Journal of Developmental and Life-Course Criminology, 2(1), 85-112. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40865-016-0026-5

Here, the cluster-robust Wald-test makes use of a small-sample correction that should improve its performance when the number of studies is small. I assume though that also with this correction, there are limits to how well the test works when the number of studies gets really low. James or Elizabeth might be in a better position to comment on this.

An interesting question is whether the degree of discrepancy between the standard and the cluster-robust Wald-test could be used as a rough measure to what extent the working model is reasonable, and if so, how to quantify the degree of the discrepancy. Despite the difference in p-values, the size of the test statistics are actually quite large for both tests. It's just that the estimated denominator degrees of freedom (which I believe is based on a Satterthwaite approximation, which is also an asymptotic method) for the F-test (1.08) are very small, so that even with F=40.9 (and df=3 in the numerator), the test ends up being not significant (p=0.0998) -- but that just narrowly misses being a borderline trend approaching the brink of statistical significance ... :/

I personally would say that the tests are actually not *that* discrepant, although I have a relatively high tolerance for discrepancies when it comes to such sensitivity analyses (I just know how much fudging is typically involved when it comes to things like the extraction / calculation of the effect size estimates themselves, so that discussions around these more subtle statistical details - which are definitely fun and help me procrastinate - kind of miss the elephant in the room).