[R-meta] Which method to compute 95% confidence intervals around individual effect sizes (standardized mean differences) ?

Dakis-Yaoba OUEDRAOGO d@k|@-y@ob@@ouedr@ogo @end|ng |rom mnhn@|r
Tue May 25 11:10:35 CEST 2021

Dear Wolfang,

thank you for your answer, methods 1 and 2 gave indeed the same results, sorry I did not ckeck correctly. Unfortunately confidence intervals computed from method 1 and 3 are different.
Sometimes they are very different one being positive and the other negative (which is my main problem).
Please find below an example from my data with problematic cases highlighted with *!!!*
(cilow1 and ciup1 are lower CI computed with method 1, whereas cilow3 and ciup3 are upper CI computed from method 3 (rma.mv model))

    cilow1 cilow3   ciup1   ciup3
 1:  0.316  0.600   3.721   3.436
 2:  3.758  3.223  11.928  12.463
 3:  1.103  1.744   5.284   4.643
 4:  3.027  4.369   9.975   8.634
 5:  3.029  3.882   9.980   9.127
 6: 10.258 15.743  30.346  24.861
 7: 11.055 14.887  32.647  28.815
 8:  7.519  7.137  22.475  22.857
 9: 36.817 31.138 107.667 113.346
10: -0.804 -1.088   2.032   2.317
11:  4.374  4.909  13.613  13.079

12: -0.581 -1.222   2.318   2.959
13:  1.175 -0.166   5.440   6.782 *!!!*
14:  1.921  1.068   7.166   8.019
15:  4.305 -1.180  13.422  18.907 *!!!*
16:  6.964  3.132  20.893  24.725
17:  7.929  8.311  23.649  23.267
18: 42.736 48.415 124.944 119.265

Looking specifically at rows 12 to 18, this is the same experiment testing increasing concentration of a chemical from row 12 to 18 with all compared to the same control. When I look to the raw data, confidence intervals provided with method 1 (cilow1) seem logical because there is an increasing effect of the chemical with increasing concentration, whereas the lack of effect indicated by cilow3 for line 15 seem very strange.
Based on this I think I will finally choose the method 1, but it would be very nice to understand why the model gives different confidence intervals.

Best wishes,
Dakis