[R-meta] Compiling different design in the same met-analysis

Gladys Barragan-Jason g|@dou86 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 4 11:17:26 CEST 2021

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your responses.
Actually, I did not specify it before but I am using the rma.mv function
since I can have several estimates from several studies of the same lab
(random=~1|lab/study/estid). Following your recommendations, I checked
whether the type of design had a significant effect on effect sizes and
actually it didn't except for one specific type of intervention in which I
do not have that much data:  3 papers for each design containing 7 and 4
effect sizes respectively. In this case, meta-analysis of overall estimates
is non-significant while when computing them separately, one is significant
(control vs. treatment groups) while the other is not (pre- vs. post
treatment).
I do think that would make sense to present the overall meta-analysis as
well as the two designs separately ? In any case, we would need more data
to conclude for sure.
Best,
Gladys

Le lun. 3 mai 2021 à 20:18, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) <
wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl> a écrit :

> Agree, but I also want to point to this:
>
> https://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:computing_adjusted_effects
>
> It discusses the concept of computing adjusted effects, which may be what
> you are looking for, Gladys. However, as noted at the end, some may
> question the usefulness and interpretability of such an estimate.

Gladys Barragan-Jason, PhD.  Website
<https://sites.google.com/view/gladysbarraganjason/home>

Station d'Ecologie Théorique et Expérimentale (SETE)

CNRS de Moulis

[image: image.png][image: image.png]