[R-meta] sample variance estimation of an effect size (reponse ratio) using confidence limits

Diego Grados Bedoya d|egogr@do@b @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 17 16:08:26 CET 2021

Dear all,

I am trying to estimate the sample error variance of an effect size
(reported as response ratio) based on the confidence intervals (assuming
that it follows a Gaussian distribution). Is it a valid approach to use the
following equation if I do not have the number of comparisons used in the
calculation of the effect size?

*variance = ((mean_ effect_size - lower_limit_confidence_interval) /
1.96)^2*

If I would have the number of comparisons (n), should I go for the
following equation?

*variance = (n^2 * (mean_ effect_size - lower_limit_ confidence_interval))
/ 1.96*

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Diego