[R-meta] Subgroup analyses under the multi-level (3 level) meta-analysis model

Saya Fujita @@y@k@|@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Mar 14 16:24:09 CET 2021

Dear All,

I am conducting a 3-level multi-analysis, following this Bookdown.
https://bookdown.org/MathiasHarrer/Doing_Meta_Analysis_in_R/mlma.html

I would like to run some sub-group analyses under this 3 level structure, and I can see in this bookdown (chapter 12.1) that if I use rma.mv function in metafor, we need to create two variables/columns for each subgroup level. In the example in this book down, the number of sub-groups was two: peer-review, dissertation, so it makes sense that they coded 1 (yes) or 0 (no).

In my data I have more than two subgroups, and I wonder how I should input the data. I thought, if I have 4 subgroups for instance, I’d create 4 columns and code 0 or 1 in each column, but that would group 3 different levels as 0 in one column, and specifying one variable/column as a moderator in rma.mv using the mods parameter would compare one subgroup with the other three subgroups – which is not what I want to do. Hope this makes sense!

I wonder if anyone here has done a subgroup analysis for multiple subgroup comparisons, maintaining the 3 level structure of a multi-level meta-analysis? Could I ask how you did the analysis?

Thank you very much in advance, and I apologise if it’s a very simple/naïve question!

Many thanks,
Saya

*********
Sayaka Kidby (Fujita)| PhD candidate, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early Career Researcher [she/her]
Psychology | Lancaster University
s.kidby using lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:s.fujita1 using lancaster.ac.uk>
www.lancaster.ac.uk<https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/>

Please note: I have a flexible working week so often I may email during evenings and weekends. However I do not expect responses during these times.

[Lancaster University]<https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/>
[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/lancasteruniversity/> [Instagram] <https://www.instagram.com/lancasteruni/>  [Twitter] <https://www.twitter.com/LancasterUni>  [LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/school/lancaster-university/>

 Follow Lancaster BabyLab<http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/babylab/> on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/LancasterBabylab/> and Twitter<https://twitter.com/lancsbabylab?lang=en>!

MOTION – Developing natural and child-friendly research and testing
Interested? Visit HERE<https://www.motion-eu.org/> (or click the image below) and find out more about us!
[signature_1073309391]<https://www.motion-eu.org/>