[R-meta] IPD meta analysis / complex survey design

Fri Mar 5 12:07:39 CET 2021

Hi Corentin,

I did not mean to suggest that one should run several different analyses on a single dataset. That would indeed place too much of a burden on the authors of the individual studies.

My suggestion is really about this part:

>Our question was whether - within the same meta-analysis - we could
>"safely" include effect sizes estimated by a standard logistic regression (when
>data have a regular structure) +  effect sizes estimated by the svyglm function
>(when the data have a complex structure).

I cannot tell you if is safe or not. But what you can always do is combine these different types in a single analysis and then check if there are systematic differences between these two types of effect sizes. If there are no systematic differences, then this is (empirical) evidence that combining them is in some sense an acceptable thing to do.

This approach is similar to checking if effect sizes extracted from published articles are systematically different from those extracted from unpublished sources in a meta-analysis. If there are systematic differences, we need to think about what the reason for the difference may be. If not, then this is one less thing to worry about.