[R-meta] multilevel glmm meta-analysis question

Fri Mar 5 09:04:12 CET 2021

>So, just to make sure I understand correctly, I should set my weights to “N”
>(which is a column in my dataset with the total sampled individual cats in each
>study)?

Correct. And just to be precise: N should be the number of sampled cats on which a particular prevalence is based. A study might have sampled 200 cats, 100 of which were examined for having parasite A, the other for parasite B. Then N would be 100 for the two prevalences. On the other hand, if all 200 cats were examined for having parasite A and also for having parasite B, then the two prevalences are both based on N=200. Maybe the former scenario is unrealistic, but it's not the total number of sampled cats in each study that matters, but the number of cats based on which a particular prevalence was computed.

>Also, does it make sense to report measures of heterogeneity like tau^2, Cochran’s
>Q, etc., here? If so, how would I go about getting these values?

tau^2 is just a name for a particular variance component in certain types of models. Your model will have multiple variance components. Would be nice to report them.

Similarly, the Q-test is a particular type of test for heterogeneity. You can do something analogous by leaving out the variance components and running a likelihood ratio test comparing the model with versus without the variance components.